Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Yoga and Huichol Ceremony

Day One - Yoga in Sayulita


Our first morning of boga (pleasure) yoga! Shockingly, although I am always up early, when Gay came to wake us at 7:20 I was busy dreaming. But by 7:30 I was on my mat with the others ready to stretch into a new day. Everyone loves this place - what’s not to love? We sit at Casa Los Arcos, high on a hill on the south side of town and two minutes walk on a dirt track from the swimming beach, which is Playa des Mortes. Sayulita’s beach is a surfing beach and excellent for boogy boarding - unlike Canadian beaches - no wet suits are needed. For those who know Spanish - it’s OK - the swimming playa is just past the cemetery, hence the name Beach of the Dead.

There are regular visitors over our Casa. I hope to draw the wing formations of the pelicans, the frigates and the buzzards - each is unique and exquisite! There are also shorebirds, terns and gulls we meet as we amble along the water on our walk to town. And one night we were visited by a skunk - thank goodness he or she headed on to the disco. We don’t bother - at night we can dance on our spacious deck to the music the water carries so perfectly. In fact, I appreciate this volume far better than the volume at the night clubs - and we can dance in our jimmies! The other “yoginis” are great folk, we eat together, and have an informal book exchange, most of us are spending a great deal of time resting and reading. Life is easy and breathes are long and deep.

This morning’s practice was special - we thought about a Huichol ceremony that is taking place today. Apparently the Mexican government sold sacred land to a Canadian gold mining company. Today the Huichols are walking in solidarity with other Mexican and Canadian First Nations to their sacred site and performing honouring ceremonies. We can only hold their space and hope that the Canadians come to their senses and realize that the land has a meaningful purpose far greater than the value of gold.

Yadira has just left and it is time for us all to stir into the day’s activities - walking to town, swimming, exploring bookstores, and perhaps a little more reading and writing for me. Yadira is our special guest - she cooks a breakfast for everyone to enjoy after the early morning yoga class. Time has new form - it is amoeboid - I know that it somewhere in the middle of the day, but the hour alludes me. It is so pleasant to be without a schedule. However, I must also report that we are without internet - yesterday was a holiday - no repair man came - manyana?

So I am strolling down the beach to the nearest hotspot. I send love to all my family and friends and healing to those who need or want it. My one goal today - to find the man who sells green coconuts and drink that special liquid - which I still believe is part of the reason I am here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment