Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Preparing to Cocktail my Way Across the Country


I have been chosen as a finalist by the organizers of Canada’s largest outdoor sculpture competition! There are 16 finalists that have been selected to compete in the 2013 Canadian Sculpture Competition at Kingsbrae Garden in St. Andrew’s, New Brunswick. (Check out www.kingsbraegarden.com). My piece will reflect what it's been like to live on a drug cocktail for the last 17 years. I'm making a giant cocktail glass out of empty pill and supplement bottles. I am hoping that people across the country will prepare messages to put into the pill bottles.

HIV has been part of my life since 1987. Sadly I know that taking meds is no cocktail party. However I'd like to party with other poz people across the country. Through sharing conversations, I’d like to learn what life is like in HIV+ communities from sea to sea. My goal is to understand - to discuss the big issues affecting poz people in every province.

When I first started taking meds I was taking 49 prescribed pills a day and about the same number of supplements. My life circulated around my alarm clock, having food in my stomach or making sure it was empty. It's much easier now - I can travel and sleep through the night!

The sculpture is a work in progress. I want input, empty bottles, notes to insert into bottles, comments and rants from across the country. I am thinking about producing a booklet with anonymous stories about intimacy and HIV. Send me a post if you have a story or an idea to share.

The trip will be fun but is unfunded. My plans are to travel the month of May. I'm looking for billets - couches - for myself and my traveling partner. I'll post the schedule soon.

The PLHIV/PWA community in Victoria, BC and the Vancouver Island PWA Society have been amazing. Now I encourages people across the province and the country to gather together - get some dance music and get ready to party with me.

For more information on how you can help please contact me: Pegfrank@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment