Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day One Cross Canada Tour


Yesterday was the fullest day I could have imagined.

There were taxes to sign off on. Thanks Paula for making sure I get a refund. I know - you said it was just that I paid too much. 

The box for the truck was fitted with side compartments and the sculpture disassembled carefully, wrapped and lifted into its home for the 30 days. It may seem like a simple thing - loading a 7 ft sculpture into a pickup truck, but I lived in constant fear that the wind would blow it over, it would rain, or that someone would drop or knock it. It is very fragile. We were blessed with the most beautiful day to pack the sculpture - sunshine and no wind! 

I also had a series of pictures to pick up. They tell the story of building the sculpture. While I was there I thought I’d better get my photo taken for my Indian visa.

And then the giant print was ready too! I have a ¾ life-sized image of the cocktail glass and I for display.  I’m NOT taking the sculpture out of the box until St. Andrews, New Brunswick!

At the end of the day, after packing my sleeping bag, my hiking poles, my suitcase and all the tools and glue I might need for the sculpture into the truck, I headed out with my house-sitter for dinner at the pub. I guess waiting for an hour for service was good for me, as it slowed me down, but I was sure a tired puppy when I finally crawled into bed around 10:30. I can’t thank the construction crew, the production team, enough. A job well done!


Today is a new day and I have already done an interview with Rick Cluff for CBC Radio’s morning show. I couldn't get in the building at the address on the website so called the number I had for the Morning Show. They were on air and gave two numbers to call. The only thing I could find in my purse to write with was chalk. Cathy had bought it yesterday while we were picking up the big poster. So soon I was racing around to a back door, being buzzed in and then sitting and doing the interview while still out of breathe.

Cathy and I had a good send off from the crew on Russell Street and then picked up a friend, Romari, as we headed to the ferry. We are rolling east.

No comments:

Post a Comment