Saturday, May 25, 2013

Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec

In Ottawa we shared food with a few friends from the city. We hoped that it would be an informal way to say thank you for all the work that people did to get create an event and put us up for the night.


Driving between Ottawa and Montreal was faster than we imagined - somehow in the rain we are less likely to dawdle. Our British pilot (GPS) delivered us to a parking spot right in front of the first venue, where we met with a group of women who were very supportive of our mission. I was able to practice my French. I think they understood because before we left they told em that they were sure that I will win first prize in St. Andrew's. For Cathy and I, the prize has been meeting amazing people along the way. I embraced an old friend who has gone through a couple of difficult years with her health and made sure that I would be able to keep in touch.
The parking situation looked grim - but we found a spot right at the door of our engagement

We headed to the English-speaking AIDS Service agency, which is housed in an old church, near a Hospital.  Cathy and I told stories about the trip so far before the film seemed a good idea, as we find the film leaves people speechless. I have to apologize to anyone in Montreal who wanted to see the sculpture. I thought that the events arranged by our host were private affairs, but now realize that I likely could have invited people to the last event. I am getting tired - but advise anyone on the East Coast to call me if they would like to see the Cocktail glass. We will be in St Andrew's on May 30th.
 
Making a toast - one cocktail bottle to many!


Before leaving Montreal, our host, Janice, put Montreal on the back doors of the truck, a new friend peered into the bubbles on the side of the truck, and soon we headed into the traffic. As we made a right turn to head onto the Pont Jaques Cartier, we were pulled over by a Montreal cop. Apparently we turned right on the red part of an orange light and for this we must pay $161. Conversations today informed us that this is how the City raises the funds it needs to operate. Certainly not a way to encourage return visits!

SUNSET over the St. Lawrence River

Keeping things in the truck dry when the rain is driving in from all directions requires ingenuity
It seemed to take a long time before we were not in a crowd of vehicles heading east. But we arrived At Carol Anne's before sunset! We will be here for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment