Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A brand new base.

Hi

At times it seems that I am undoing as much as I do.  I just did not like the base that I had made - so sorry to all the helpers who assisted in option one.  "That's an ugly cocktail glass!" I said to myself.  "It's gotta go."  I took the chop saw to the old base - and saved what I could for the new.  It was not pretty - the mess of plastic left after the chop saw had its way with the piece.

I was not able to save a very tediously constructed central piece. So days later and several trips to the hardware and plumbing stores in town looking for new bits and the perfect hole cutting saw - I'm back in my own basement shop starting from scratch!

This error in planning meant more than just additional purchases, it required more help from exceedingly clever friends. Today I started working from the ground up.  Today I made progress.

See the three images.The description of each is below:


STEPS 1 AND 2: Using a drill-press. and blocking the white piece carefully, we drilled two different sized holes in the centre. It worked like a charm! 

STEP 3 AND 4: Glue in these strange double ’V’s using transition glue. Then cut PVC pieces that fit a circle the diameter of the base and glue those in place.




STEP 5: Cut the PVC base-cover the diameter of the support structure and screw it into place ready to receive the first rounds of bottles.  These will be arranges to give the base a lovely curve.I am happy now!

There are still things to consider - like keeping critters out of the PVC pipe that supports the structure - and also keeping the snow out of the enormous bowl on the top of the sculpture.  I am still very excited about this piece. Time now - though - to dance.  Perhaps tonight I'll dance a perfect cocktail glass.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment